0300 303 4417

Contact Broxbourne CA


We normally operate out of three locations - see details below. However due to COVID-19, these locations are closed and so we cannot offer face-to-face advice. We can offer advice by telephone on 0300 303 4417 Monday to Wednesday 9.30 to 12.30. Outside these times please call Adviceline on 0800 144 8848.  If you have access to the internet, you may well be able to resolve your problem using our on-line Advice facility.

We do not currently offer advice by email.

General Enquiries

Call 0300 303 4417 Monday to Wednesday from 9.30 to 12.30


Hoddesdon Library

Contact Information

98a High Street
EN11 8HD

Opening Times
10.00 am - 12.30 pm - Suspended due to COVID

Waltham Cross One Stop Shop

Contact Information

66-70 High Street
Waltham Cross

Opening Times
10.00 am - 1.00 pm - Suspended due to COVID

The Hub

Contact Information

275 Holdbrook Court
Holdbrook South
Waltham Cross

Opening Times
10am to 2pm - Suspended due to COVID

Visiting Us - Currently Suspended due to COVID-19

Please inform us if you require any special facilities or require a translator. 

When you visit it's important that the adviser you speak to has as much information about your case as possible. If you don't bring the necessary paperwork with you, you may have to come back another time. This means it could take you longer to get the help you need.

The following gives you an idea of the kind of information it's useful to bring with you.  If you haven't got everything that's shown, don't worry - bring as much as you can find.

Problems with benefits: eg all letters from government departments (ie DWP, Jobcentre, Pension Service or local authority); NI number, proof of income (wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits), bank statement, details of savings, tenancy/mortgage details.

Welfare benefit check: eg employment details (pay slip, P60), household income, child care costs, council tax bill, details of benefits currently receiving.

Debt and money problems: eg details of income (pay slip, benefit letters, tax credits), bank statement, details/statements of all those you owe and how much, loan agreements, any court papers, details of household expenditure

Housing problems: eg tenancy agreement/landlord correspondence, mortgage details, court papers, title deeds, proof of income

Employment problems: eg contract, details of any disciplinary, grievance or dismissal issues, letters from employer, staff handbook, employment tribunal applications, proof of income

Family and personal issues: eg any paperwork relating to the issue, court documents or legal agreements, divorce papers 

Consumer problems: eg details of goods or services causing the problem, contract or credit agreement, relevant correspondence, proof of purchase

Immigration or asylum problems: Home Office correspondence, passport, visa or permit details, proof of income, NASS support

Please arrive on time for your appointment and if you are unable to make it, please let us know.

Registered Office: HB Accountants, Plumpton House, Plumpton Road, Hertfordshire, EN11 0LB
Company Number: 6317053 , Charity Number : 1121196
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority-FRN: 617527